7.24.2013

What I Read on Vacation (WOYN July)



Summer may be busy but during our recent Maine vacation we had plenty of time to kick back and read. Even my read resistant hubby read an Agatha Christie mystery. We had some rainy days but also the lazy sunny kind that lend themselves well to oodles of chapters read lakeside. Our sweet cabin actually has a small bookshelf in it with all kinds of delightful books. Even, I, who came with my own stack managed to find a book I could not put down. Literally. The small paperback discovery was Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson. I rarely read fiction but this is the second book I have read by Mr. Patterson. When my daughter was newborn I read Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas and I remember having the same feeling I had while reading this book. It just is compelling reading to me. 
I started Saturday and finished Tuesday night. Record time for me. I am the slowest  reader ever, as I jump from book to book. 

Anyway, there is also this great place which is called The Emporium. Basically it is someone's garage filled with books. I call it the Second Heaven of Maine. It is walkable and I made a few trips during my stay. I got a few treasures for a few dollars (shown above). Phew!

Here's the thing. Most of these were not even on my Summer Reading List. Maybe this is why I am never caught up. My list expands along the journey. 


One of the best books I found and am currently enjoying is 100 Portraits of Christ: Meet The Master In A Gallery Of His Many Names And Titles by Henry Gariepy.
Short chapters and some unique names and rich biblical insight make this one a keeper. I hit the jackpot with this find. 

I finished Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequist and trust if you haven't hear about it you really should.

Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson- OK, so I get that this is a romance, not my usual fare. I saw the reviews of others which range from mild disdain to outright hate. But the fact remains, I could not put it down, and it was a wonderfully imaginative read in my opinion. Not deep, mind you but not without a childlike indulgence either. I indulged and thoroughly enjoyed this story of a lonely girl with an imaginary friend and the bizarre, possibly cheesy ending. What can I say my inner lonely girl loved it! Judge me, I don't care. 

Crafting Calm- This was a fun read and very inspiring. I did not read it all, but perused it. It is filled with quotes and craft projects as well as journaling prompts for connecting with creativity beyond the superficial. The journal prompts alone made it worth the reading. Exploring spiritually, emotionally and mentally with crafts more or less. I got it from the library and wanted to renew it but it was on Hold! If you are creative, crafty or just want to be, I think this is worth checking out. As a side note, there are multi religious and spiritual components, it is not exclusively Christian. That, my friends in itself should not stop you from checking it out. I hope. 

I am about halfway through my dear friend, Holly Otten's book called hand in Hand which details her life story as a Sexual Abuse Survivor and the miraculous God who healed her and continues to guide her amazing journey!

The Sheltering Tree: Selected Poems by Marion Louse Nichols and Robert Frost's Poems, were great poetry finds at the Emporium and I like to snack on those types of books. 

Check out what I am reading here:
my currently-reading shelf:
Dawn's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

So what is on YOUR Nightstand, Beach Bag or To Read List?

What's On Your Nightstand

Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Hi dawn, I've missed you, Lady! These books look so good and intriguing! So many good books out there and so few years to get them all read! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation...that's my kind of vacation, relaxing and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Emporium sounds lovely indeed! A bit of reading here and there is how I get it done, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, reading different books at the same time... I have a tendency to do that.
    So, I figure you don't have an e-reader uh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing your reading list. And that you indulge your inner child from time to time too. :-) I'm a fan of The Hunger Game and Divergent series for those reasons myself. Lots of good meaty titles here too.

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)