4.02.2013

I Am Your Girl




I call you friend
because you always come
when I call your name
without fail

You never complain
when I'm busy
or in a tizzy
just smile with your tail

I call you friend
and when I come undone
your soft, wet nose
brings me back 
to feeling human
again.

I call you friend
on you depend
the best welcome home 
I've ever known 
with body wagging, 
love not lagging

a joyful reunion daily...

I call you friend and wonder when
you are alone
sleeping by your bone
 are you dreaming of 
romping with me, 
or wandering nose to the ground,
 sniffing off 
on grand adventures unknown?

I lay my head right by your side,
share my deepest secrets
never have to hide...

Eyes look straight through to my heart,
fiercely protective you were, right from the start
from you my friend,
I never want to part

You remain a puppy in my mind always...

I have heard it to be said
that diamonds are a girl's best friend
but I'll tell you what I know-
diamonds are only for show
easy come, easy go
dogs reign supreme.

My best friend, pants, wags and barks
is faithful...
worth more
than a trunk of treasure-
beyond measure.

I wouldn't trade you for the world
Not diamonds,
cash,
 or pearls.

I remain a child in your eyes always...

I look deep into your soul-filled eyes
I see me
and realize
 I am your world
How can I live up to this precious hope?
You are my dog and I am your girl.


© Dawn Paoletta



Linking with:
 dVerse 
Time-Warp Wife
The Extraordinary Ordinary (for the first time! @Just Write)
Rich Faith Rising
The Scoop @ Cedar Hill Ranch (for the first time)
Create with Joy for Wordless Wednesday for Pam's Picture!
My Daily Walk in His Grace
Blogshe.net


*A few days ago a friend posted this picture of her daughter and dog as she caught them one busy morning and grabbed this great shot. It inspired me to write these words...
for girls and their dogs everywhere.

15 comments:

  1. I love this, reminds me of my coco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this Dawn. Our doggies are so special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crying. and thanking God for waterproof mascara. Our dog is old, I'm seeing things I DON'T want to see right now, so this just touches my heart. It's how I feel about 'my girl,' too. Thanks, my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. smiles...i love it..i grew up with a pups as my best friend...his name was hobo...he was a huge part of my early life...so i can def relate...dogs are special friends for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a dog lover, too. Sure love that photo and the poem is beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate! Luv our dogs and all our pets! Happy WW :)

    ~ Jill

    http://www.frugalplus.com/2013/04/wordless-wednesday-wlinky-spring-break.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness. I feel mush the same way about my sweet Frida girl. She is always close by, keeping an eye on me. Such a sweet sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sweet!
    Please link up http://savegreenbeinggreen.blogspot.com/2013/04/wordless-wednesday-childrens-museum-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay you got the tears...I really love this and love nothing more than being with my best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had a few of these friends--nothing like 'em! A lovely telling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ode to the best friend one can have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a sweet portrayal of something so special. you are so eloquent:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the sweetest post I've seen today! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! I don't have a dog, but I used to. I loved her bark when she was protective and playing with her in the yard. Might be time to get the boys a dog.

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)