2.21.2013

Dig Deeper (The Surprising Joy of Sisterhood in Christ)



I am on my way to correct the form of one of my students in Boot Camp. I start to speak words of instruction, correction and before I can finish I see her eyes averting my eyes, distancing me. I feel her feeling me, too close. In her space. She speaks, and I see her fighting to maintain composure. "My arms hurt and I don't want to talk about it." She is fighting hard to maintain the pace and we are on the last round. Surrounded by college students, I sense her slipping. This sweet mother of five is at her breaking point and feeling defeated. I give her space and come back with words of encouragement. There comes a point where the correction is irrelevant. She must get through this...I remind her she has made it through childbirth five times and that this class is hard but I bank on knowing she has the strength and endurance to get through it.

Sometimes it is about just hanging on for dear life.
The getting through it when it is so hard that you want to cry.
Or quit.

Sometimes a workout OR life can feel like one hard Boot Camp 
and we feel like the new recruit who just did not realize what he signed up for
 when he joined the ranks.

The demands are too hard.
Our strength feels too small.
We feel the pain of weakness and want it to stop.

But in the digging deep, we find there is more than we realized that resides within us.
There is a possibility and potential we have yet to tap!

Have you ever felt defeated? 

Lean in and listen.

Dig deeper. 
Deeper still.

You have more within you than you know now. 
Do the thing that is hard and see.


What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson.


Although I met Sam (my "student") in a class I teach at a local gym, in an epic turn of events she has come right alongside me (usually at Starbucks, over coffee on Sunday afternoon) in my Home Schooling adventure, giving me advice, cheering me on and lending me books. She has Home Schooled all of her children and is currently expecting Baby number six! I am so thankful for our new friendship.


I am also grateful for the way Jesus comes right alongside us wherever our own Emmaus Road leads. Yet, there we are, surprised when at last He breaks the bread, reveals Himself, disappears and leaves us full of joy-as we enjoy the precious promise of His presence unseen. We are left holding bread looking at one another.

Just as is His will.  

How this Shepherd leads me to Sisterhood when and where I least expect it, reveals His perfection, love and gentle humor. Be awake to His surprises, daily - He will introduce you to new sisters to encourage and be encouraged by as you do. 

Linking with Imperfect Prose, Intentionally Me, Faith Barista, Create With Joy.
Christian Mommy Blogger, Missional Women, Mommy Only Has Two Hands.

9 comments:

  1. "Be awake to His surprises, daily - He will introduce you to new sisters to encourage and be encouraged by as you do."

    I love that you said this. I know He does, and I'm hopeful He will continue to do so.

    Beautiful post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the idea of being awake to His surprises,,,,,great post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... when I take yoga classes, I try really hard to get the poses just right so that the teacher won't come single me out. I know the whole point of attending a class is to get help from a professional, but still, that's my gut reaction! I'm glad you and your 'student' are WELL beyond that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how God brings people into our lives at just the right time. And I would love to be in your boot camp class. Too bad Phoenix wasn't closer to you! :)

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dig deeper rather in life or workout, good word!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post! I know when it comes to a workout, I'm the last person who wants to dig deep! Very cool to hear that you're a homeschooler... and that she was too! I'm homeschooling my son for preschool right now, and am planning on continuing to do so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "His graces are new every morning."

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a truly inspirational post. Thank you so very much, into my fav file it goes. Here from the weekend showcase, BB2U.

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)