10.14.2012

Social Media Is What You Make It {Faith Life Preservers- Day 14}



Credit



I wanted to hit on this subject during the 31 days of Faith Preservers and since Ramona over at Create With Joy posed the question, I figured it was a divine calling to do it sooner rather than later. 

Like anything else, social media is somewhat a refection of who you are. If you want it to be. 
I know many won't like this comment but I do not fear Social Media for a number of reasons. 
I think that perspective is key when drawing conclusions, but often I find that people...especially Christians are guilty of broad brushing things they do not like (or feel threatened by?) with a negative brushstroke without logical reason. Or worse with partial truth and/or out of context facts. 

Is it ironic that a group of "evangelists" will knock on a stranger's door and share the gospel, then judge a Social Media user for sharing his faith, or encouraging another believer through means of the internet?

Really?
No double standard there?

Christians today have some serious blind spots when it comes to 
certain groups of people.
The Great Commission is talked about but rarely lived out.
The reality is God is Sovereign.
He wants to meet people in time wherever they are.
To the ends of the earth.
Even if or when reaching the ends of the earth means utilizing the internet.
Radio and Television ushered in new ways to connect, communicate and reach out.
Every coin has two sides.
Of course anything can be used for good OR evil. 
But that is exactly why we are to be salt and light wherever God leads us.
It saddens me to hear the negative arguments I hear against using 
Social Media by so many Christians.
We are to be discerning. 
Practicing discernment suggests practical application, not hiding our head under a rock.
Or judging others who feel called and or gifted specifically to share Christ in this way. 

God is not bound in the way He reveals His truth.
Look at the way Jesus himself, continuously had to remind the disciples
to stop putting Him and God in a box of their own making.

Instead of judging what one does not understand we should explore, 
or ask those who are following Jesus to places He wants Himself known, 
that we do not understand or know about.

Here is the fact.
I am a missionary.
I share the truth of Jesus Christ on my Blog and on 
Facebook as well as the other Social Media I use.
I write to encourage, edify and sometimes challenge my fellow
 brothers and sisters in the Lord.
I write to minister grace and truth to those who are looking for hope
 and answers to hard questions.
Why?
Because Jesus loved me and died for me.
He did not hold back because I was opposed to Him.
He did not say gee, she is ______________;
I don't bother with that kind.
He met me where I was- guess how?
 Through someone who knew the truth and met me where I was. 
A person who was like me, 
that could relate to me, speak into my life,
where I was at that season of my life.
He turned my life around.
I'm not afraid to share it.
Or shine for Him as He leads. 
From this computer screen to yours.
When I am out and about in my life.
Here and there and everywhere.
Because we are all called to be missionaries in varying
degrees to various people.
If I died tomorrow I would know I lived my life fulfilling my calling.

God uses people.
All kinds.
He can use an ass to speak if He chooses.
Ironically, I think I just called myself an ass, but hey, I'm OK with that!
I challenge you to examine your preconceived ideas about how God 
lives and moves and has His being.
Because we live and move and have our being in Him.

I may not pack up and travel around the world to share His truth. 
But just because it does not look the way some think it should
doesn't mean it is not what it is.

God wants to shine through you where you are, too.

How you use Social Media is a reflection and extension of who you are.
If you use it. Even a little.
It's not a be all and an end all.
But it is something that God uses to further His will on earth.

I want to tell you another thing. I am blessed to have been rooted and established by 
God into His universal body of Spirit - Filled Believers called the church. 
I love seeing and keeping in touch with many of my Christian Brothers and Sisters through Facebook and know I can have access to immediate prayers from friends who know and love me! 

It's what YOU make it, friends. 

How do you live out the Great Commission?

What do you make of Social Media?

Yes, it has been a Faith Life Preserver to me. 
Thank you God that you can use a donkey, the internet and me.
You are Sovereign.







31 Days of Faith Life Preservers 
October 1-31, 2012

See all other Faith Life Preserver Posts HERE.
Check out all of the other 
31 Day Topics and Bloggers HERE.


Linking with  Charlotte:

8 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! I use my blog and social media outlets to glory the Lord. I have received so much prayer and encouragement through social media, often more than my IRL friends. I do agree that it can be used for Christians to bash one another, chide one another for differences, etc. and that is sad. I hope and pray that people will come to understand that no matter how they share the Lord, the must do it with honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited as I was reading this post. Amen, amen, amen!

    I love social media. Of course, we need to be careful and discerning. Whatever we put out there on the internet stays. So think before hitting publish.

    But my blog Heart Choices has become a ministry for me. I use Twitter (not as often as I used to), Facebook and I'm learning Google +. I am in touch with friends from childhood, high school and ones I worked with years ago. Oh and I forgot to mention so many of my relatives, including ones in Norway and Belize.

    Social media has become an amazing platform for the Gospel. I've had opportunities to witness and share the love of Christ with many. I've been able to offer encouragement and to share some of the trials I've gone through. When we become more transparent, I've found it opens up dialogue in so many ways.

    I've also 'met' some amazing people online, including you! I've had the opportunity to actually meet some bloggers in person and I've never been disappointed. After all, we get to know one another from the words we write and the photos we share.

    So glad you wrote this one Dawn!

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a love/hate relationship. I LOVE keeping up with family and friends, but I struggle with my flesh on becoming too distracted. I am slowing weening myself off, but I do love to keep in touch and meet new people. I need to keep it a balance though, family and God comes first, then everything else. Wonderful post Dawn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with you on social media being what you use it for...these are all tools...and any tool can be used to hurt or harm...even unintentionally...no faster way to jack up your testimony than to shoot off at the mouth where the world can see you...but it can reach far more people than many ever could...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I agree! I use facebook and my blog to encourage, uplift, inspire and share God's love and the good news about Jesus with others. I also follow and friend others who do the same, as we can be supportive of each other in this way. Thank you for your thoughtful post and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thoughts. I agree. It is what you make of it and good can be done online as well as offline. There are some things to be careful of since so much can be misunderstood without facial expressions and whatnot, but even so, good can be done. I know I have been blessed by people online.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. I think the social media has been a marvelous way to share our faith. I do find that facebook is addictive though (much as blogging was when I first started) and I know I spend too much time there. I'm glad you chose to share with us on Spiritual Sundays.
    I love your ocean theme. I have always loved the ocean. So why am I living out here in the desert? Well, I have learned to love the desert too which I thought would be impossible. I've been happy everywhere God has chosen to put me in my 76 years. He is so good.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your fabulous post with us this week, Dawn, at Friendship Friday! I am very passionate about this theme and so glad you chose to write about it in depth!

    You are one of my Featured Friends this week at Friendship Friday - hope you'll join in this week's discussion!

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)