9.24.2012

How Do You Make A Life?


Photo Credit


How do you make a life?
Just add water, husband, wife?

Mix it up,
with a dash
whip up some love,
add some cash?

How do you make a life?
A family that goes the miles,
 one can't live on love-
or foster phony smiles.

How do you make a life?
One that rings true and shines
A life and a legacy 
that hints at the divine.

How do you make a life?
Trudging down the roads,
looking for a way out of-
to love,
and have and hold.

How do you make a life?
When the trials come and go-
when the sun comes up again
as the tides ebb and flow.

How do you make a life?
A posed picture in time,
smiling for the camera-
is this your holy shrine?

How do you make a life?
One man and one woman.
Don't knock me for saying
the truth I believe in.

How do you make a life?
A history of days,
of living and loving -
and singing His praise.

How do you make a life?
By standing and sleeping and 
sharing the load-
by walking hand in hand down 
the long and winding road.
Just like that.

By keeping the promise, the promise you told,
By standing firm in this:
"To have and to hold."

By recognizing that dreams are for those who sleep
and life is lived by those who keep...
the words they pledge-
though they weep,
they hold fast to truth,
 words sowed and reaped.

In the end they know they have promises to keep.
In the end they know-
they have
promises to keep.

Don't sleep.



Joining in for the first time here:
the imaginary garden with real toads
Imaginary Garden with Real Toads


23 comments:

  1. Very good advice, nicely presented.
    Doesn't always work, and I suppose the dash of cash may or may not help :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aprille, sometimes helps, sometimes hinders, I imagine. No guarantees. This I know. ;)

      Delete
  2. What an adorable picture. Your have really focused your attention on what makes a successful marriage. It's a pity there is no secret hidden formula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A magic plan that guarantees perfectly ever after would be grand. ;)

      Delete
  3. I wish there was a magic plan...In my head romance swirls and eddy's and fills me with smniles. The application of keeping things feeling like I feel canbe hard...and the second part to that note is that both sides have to believve in your sage adviceor sometimes a lovers work can be for naught. Great writing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true. Sadly so sometimes. Ought to keep us on our toes and in the present moment, aware! Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  4. I love this!!! found you at Inspire me Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting- will return the visit!

      Delete
  5. This is adorable. Nothing concrete is gained without a bit of sacrifice and faith. This part is great, "By recognizing that dreams are for those who sleep
    and life is lived by those who keep..."-the comfort of excepting our simple fates. There are many stages of spiritual life and the "household" is definitely a dutiful one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding contentment and joy in the duty, could be key then, as well I imagine. Thanks for visiting and leaving your thoughts here!

      Delete
  6. I loved your words~ They ebbed n' flowed like the tide. Love tugs at us and we lean into it or run~
    I enjoyed your view :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Ella. Appreciate your thoughts. ;)

      Delete
  7. I agree with Ella there was an ebb and flow in your words. Those precious promises at times seem so hard to keep, but they are the glue that holds people together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie, I guess the promise is the difference. The keeping of it, that is.

      Delete
  8. Beautifully written poem! Marriage is certainly not for the faint-hearted or those afraid of hard work. Really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, No not for the fainthearted at all! ;)

      Delete
  9. Love it! I want to write the question everywhere, where I can see it always and ever... How do I make a life? A reminder, a challenge...

    Beautiful words here, friend. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful poetry, both inspiring and challenging. Thank you for sharing this, and for enriching my Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely and very well done. The rhythm of the words and the roar of the waves- perfect harmony as they became one as I read. May you continue to find inspiration in your life and your marriage.

    BB2U

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful. I am grateful to have found you today on the weekend blog hop. I am a writer, too - such a treat to put words on the page, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)