9.11.2012

A Sudden Glory by Sharon Jaynes {Book Review}





So I reluctantly chose A Sudden Glory- God's Lavish Response to Your Ache for Something More  as a book to read for review. Why was I reluctant? After all Sharan Jaynes is an international speaker and author of 17 books. She served as vice president and radio co-host of Proverbs 31 Ministries for ten years...stop right there. I just thought to myself, without realizing it, another Christian Woman book. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Blah. But still, something in the description compelled me to choose it despite the fact I expected less than anything grand.  As you can see I am getting cynical now that I am a bonafide book reviewer! Ha!

Well I was wrong, it is a truly grand book! This book is filled with life changing truth and seasoned with extraordinary levels of grace expressed in a way that I found to be easy to move through yet profoundly beautiful and uplifting.

So let me tell you about the greatest book I have read this year and why you need to read it too. 
Are you ready?

One verse of scripture should tell you :

In Him we live, and move and have our being.
Acts 17:28

Sharon bases her whole work on this premise. 
On this prerequisite for life in Christ. 
That this living and moving and having our being can be attained, 
is in fact being attained. Moment by moment. 
Glory to glory.
We can choose every moment and
 can see holy ground everywhere...
 or nowhere.
Momentary glimpses of God when He makes himself known to 
each one of us uniquely, is what Sharon refers to as moments of sudden glory.
She says it like this, "I call those moments when God makes Himself 
known to you personally a sudden glory
an intimate moment with your Creator, the Lover of your soul,  a glimpse of heaven."
Sharon begs us the question to ask God what He wants
  for us instead of what He wants from us. 
She begins with God's glory in Chapter One and continues the upward journey throughout the entire book coaching us on to greater depth than we have dared to consider before. 

Here is a journey through chapter topics and titles:
 His pursuit of us;
learning to live in sacred union;
 joining him in continual conversation; 
daring to raise our expectations; 
saying yes to his invitation to dance;
 trusting him in difficult times; 
seeing Him through a lens of gratitude and grace;  
choosing intimate relationship over routine religion.
Each chapter takes us closer to the beautiful reality and potential we all long for.
Intimacy with the One True Living God.
She reminds us that all things are possible when the sacred and the secular
merge together in a divine and miraculous sudden glory, in the daily ordinary moments called life. 


I received this book (see Blogging For Books)
for the purpose of review.
 The opinions I express are my own. 






3 comments:

  1. Great review! I want the book NOW, but it's 10 pm. So I'm heading to the bookstore tomorrow! I can't wait..thanks!! Blessings <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so inspired just by the review of the book, so I'm sure the book itself is a gem. I don't think it's a coincidence for me that a butterfly is on the cover because I recognize butterflies when I see them as "those moments when God makes himself known to me personally." Thanks for the review!

    -Sarah L. Webb

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)