8.21.2012

Problem Child


photo credit: † mexico rosel † via photo pin cc

See me? I'm a problem child.
I am the one always speaking out of turn
impulsive
 passionate
outspoken
think on my feet- 
as I go
See me? I am a problem child.
I challenge
defy
answer back
glare
staring you down
don't step on my feet
See me? I'm a problem child.
I see you just fine
you can't see me
I'm convinced
 you're blind
and I see right through
your masks
See me? I'm a problem child.
I have feelings
I can hear
I'm not stupid,
but you forget.
Stop judging me
from your strength
looking down at my weakness
level the field
I already know your weaknesses
because I listen
hard
when you think I hear nothing
I miss not one word, crease of the brow
flinching of eye
Come down off your high horse
See me.
I think thoughts you presume to know
but don't-
Imagine things you have never dreamed
have experienced things 
from your worst nightmares
unremembered.
See me. I'm a problem child.
I'm the one that slipped through the cracks
when you turned your back
assuming you knew
what you did not know
stop drawing conclusions, 
it's a fool who judges only by what he sees
See me? I'm a problem child.
See you?
learn what it means to see
because
 He. Sees. Me.
He sees me, and I am loved.
See me.
I'm a problem child.
I will change your world
if you allow yourself to see.



Stop by for Open Link Night at the Poets Pub





30 comments:

  1. You really do capture that anger/remorse/embarrassment/resentment/shame of problem child and wishfulness. Well done. k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think I remember it well...;)

      Delete
  2. I love this! Perhaps, because I am a problem child

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful...i know these children all too well and often they are only seen as the problem...not the child...and there is usually a reason they act the way they do...you just have to have eyes that see....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see well, Brian. I see that. Thanks, brother- appreciate your visits and feedback.

      Delete
  4. Wow - excellent and love how you bring it all the around to the end - Jesus. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how it always comes back to Him. He always takes the strays right back into those faithful everlasting arms. WHen they finally come. Amen.
      I know as I am one.

      Delete
  5. Wow, this was a good one,very powerful and that close just wraps it so tightly at the end, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this one. I often thought in high school, as a mentor for much younger ones in grades below me, that the "problem children" were just geniuses trying to embrace the world when no one would let them. People often ignored them with disgust and never heard a word they said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that from many sides, as well. I've worked with youth and I was that youth! But I also have worked along side adults who were blind guides.

      Delete
  7. That was deep. I wonder how many of us can see a little bit of ourselves in that "problem child"? Hmmmm...but Jesus loves us anyway. That's the good part.
    Thank you for letting us in on this glimpse inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for always reading between the lines. Seeing the heart. You are so good at that!

      Delete
  8. Every parent, every teacher needs to read this! Seriously. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this piece and it reminds me to really see everyone I come across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that really is the goal for all of us, yes? Not easy, but possible. Definitely possible.

      Delete
  10. I totally love this!! I can see myself in it when I was a lot younger and even today as well. Loving the angry words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right there with you - I was and am (somewhat)! Thanks!

      Delete
  11. That is sooo my lovely daughter. Every word of it. It's a bit of me, too. I like how you capture the raw emotion of whatever you're writing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy. Please know...I am so empathetic. It's painful to see some of the similarities between mothers and daughters...at least for me. But I know this child. In know full well!

      Delete
  12. This reminds me that each child is so precious and comes into this world innocent and happy. So sad when that is taken away from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly. Thanks for visiting and commenting. ;)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Oh, I loved that band as a teen. I didn't know they had a song (or maybe it's in my brain archives somewhere)named that but it would make sense.

      Delete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)