7.03.2012

The Naked Parent


'mosaic' photo (c) 2007, angryyoung_woman - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/



























 The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.
Genesis 3:21


The conversation goes something like this: "Mom, I have three new followers on Instagram". 

I, in my best excited but decidedly wise voice respond, 
"That's great honey, but is it that important for you to have a lot of followers?". 

Suddenly, I am standing in the garden. 
Naked. 

What was that I just said? 

I feel the hand of God, gentle on my shoulder.

Really?

 I am reminded of this conversation as I have just "not noticed" 
that I have lost one follower on my Facebook page and gained one on GFC. 
The voice in my head saying, "I will not look at these numbers, 
I will not look at these numbers". 
Seriously, I am doing better with the whole topic 
I know the One whose approval matters.

Today I was just pondering how parenting is such a learning journey and faith stretcher.

I am amazed how God uses each of our roles in life to mold,
 conform and transform us into His likeness.

I am challenged daily to consider my words, as children take everything at face value.
Sometimes my daughter will mention something I said when she was a toddler and we will laugh at the difference of what she thought I meant and the reality of what was said. 

Sometimes in these Tween years my words hurt, 
are misunderstood or outright ignored.
I am far from a perfect Christian parent.
I am learning as I go.
Sometimes it feels like a lonely pilgrimage.
Other times I am grateful for those who share an 
encouraging word along the journey.
Or prayers.

It makes it easier to let the ungracious, presumptuous "advice" 
and comments of well meaning but insensitive others roll down the back, 
instead of sinking into the heart and bones.

Parenting is not easy. 
But, God himself stands by His own children.
He encourages and instructs. Lovingly and gently.
He gives grace.

Let's do likewise with our fellow sojourners.

I am thankful that when I am found naked, 
He himself clothes me.



Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, 
clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Colossians 3:12


I delight greatly in the Lord;
    my soul rejoices in my God.
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
    and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, 
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
    and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
Isaiah 61:10







11 comments:

  1. I feel you so completely. The world of blogging often reminds me of Junior High school. Always seeking approval. I can so relate to this post. A quick blogging tip for you though is if you'd like more Facebook fans *not that it matters* include a link to your facebook page in your post template. So it appears at the bottom of all your posts. By the way your title grabbed my eye.

    Blessings!
    KML
    lessonsfromivy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in and commenting! I guess my whole thought is I really don't want to care but because I like to also be honest with myself and others, I admit sometimes I am surprised that I do...despite knowing my personal goals for the Blog are not about numbers but sharing as He leads. Will return the visit!

      Delete
  2. It is easy to get caught up in the numbers, especially when just by nature, I think, there's some ego involved in blogging. We write because we want our words to be read. Yes, we write no matter what because we "have to" but we do want to be heard.

    One comment made at the Relevant Conference last fall had a huge impact on me. It doesn't matter if we only have one reader. If we are writing to please God, then he will bring the one who needs the message. I know any time I've contemplated an end to blogging and mentioned it, at least one person (usually someone I never even knew read it) will come forward and ask me not to because they need what they read.

    By the way, I love how forgiving you are of yourself for not being a perfect parent during the difficult tween/teen years. Such difficult to navigate times. I wish I'd allowed myself as much grace. At least I never had to deal with a blogging daughter...Facebook was bad enough...and these days she's become a Pinterest addict. We tried three Pinterest recipes yesterday alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy,
      I agree wholeheartedly with the fact that it does not matter about the number of readers. I honestly never even had an expectation, initially. But oh, how soon that changed. I am committed to writing as God leads and to keep my eyes off the numbers and on Him. But I also am committed to revealing a certain level of transparency in writing for this blog. I found myself having a chuckle within when I spoke the words to my daughter having just written about the same topic recently. God does not indulge my selective memory. He reminds me of every word I say...often as I open my mouth. It is truly humbling.Thanks, for your input- always nice to hear from you. WHo knows maybe someday we will meet at one of those conferences!

      Delete
  3. I've told you before I struggle with the numbers battle too. I just wrote a post about trusting in God's sovereignty with the blog too (goes up tomorrow). He will send the folks who need to read my words. I don't have to great lengths to hunt them down but just be faithful to what He has called me to do.

    Mary Beth @newlifesteward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Beth,
      I like your blog and will look forward to seeing your post. It is curious, this post is really NOT about the topic everyone seems to be commenting on BUT more so about how what we say can reveal what we believe and how God uses these humbling moments to teach us as parents!
      My heart is to focus on His leading in my writing and leave the rest to Him. I feel led to also be transparent in some of the common battles that I fight living out my faith. Hence the post! With you in the battle, my friend!

      Delete
  4. Hi Dawn - great post. I too, try not to look at the numbers and I believe when i truly believe that (of myself lol) one or two get added. When I look all the time, I lose focus. And the whole parenting thing, really tough sometimes.
    God bless friend
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, you bless me my friend! Thanks for stopping by today. And for your authentic heart!

      Delete
  5. Oooo - ouch! Smacking all us bloggers with this one, Dawn! Too true - though - and I'm sure we all wrestle with it. The overcoming is in the fact that we wrestle at all! Good thoughts here.

    Now - I see you've been to tea with Betsy and me. Lovely to have you. And - how can we do this for real? Well, I'm going to be visiting my son and daughter-in-law the end of August in Fall River. Can we meet someplace halfway and connect over a Starbucks somewhere? Maybe in Seekonk? I'm at the mercy of my daughter's car and don't know all our plans, but, perhaps we could all go there for shopping and you and I could meet up and I'll text them when they can pick me up. Let me know if we can keep this option open. Arriving Aug 29 and leaving Sept. 2.

    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, I already e-mailed you SO , here is the official word. YES. I will so LOVE to get together! JOY is right!

      Delete
  6. This is GREAT! UGH! I am such a statistics addict. I know I'm doing it and I know I shouldn't but I am getting better. Yesterday I went a whole three hours without checking how many of my blog posts had been read! LOL I am definitely a work in progress. :)

    Mindy @ New Equus - A New Creation

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)