6.19.2012

Seeking Him In Summer


Photo: Mary Lynch

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, 
left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
Mark 1:35


Quiet time. We long for it. Crave it. Desire it. 
When we know the One who ushers quietness into our souls, 
we long for the peace that passes all understanding.

So, why is it that somehow, some days, perhaps weeks, we find ourselves running on empty?
Feeling edgy, parched, frustrated and a little less than grateful, in our day to day life we snap, curse and wonder where God is in all of this that we are going through. 

But it is not God who has moved, friend.
We are busy; distracted.
Plugged in.
Tuned out.

The morning brings chores, early demands
 and seasonal adventures during the Summer days.

It's so easy to let that "quiet time" set apart for the Lord, dwindle.
Later, we think. In the afternoon I will sit with Him. 
But the afternoon comes, and unexpected opportunities.
Our Bible sits, untouched.
Tonight for sure, Lord, we silently promise.
But night brings laughter, dinner and sweet family closeness.
Fatigue becomes exhaustion after a blessed day.
He has been faithful, again.
It is His character.

But have we?


But He Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray. 
Luke 5:16

And it was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, 
and He spent the whole night in prayer to God. 
Luke 6:12



Lord, You are Faithful. 
I praise you that there is no other God but You.
Lord, teach us to be faithful, to seek out time alone with you,
to pray, read your Word and listen for your voice. 
To not neglect or forsake the lonely places 
for they lead to intimacy 
with you. 
In Jesus name, Amen. 


Dedicated to my dear friend Lauree: I miss our times together- 
looking forward to coffee together, soon!




Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn,
    Loved reading your entry today! Thanks for the reminder about how important it is to spend quiet time with The Lord. Life is so demanding and rushing from one activity to the next. Sometimes we forget to make time for God. Have a wonderful week. I love the sounds of the waves...so relaxing.
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Lisa, your place is such a blessing! I agree, my friend- I wrote from my heart and my heart was recognizing my own tendency ...which I am seeking to correct and be on guard for this Summer!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly what I needed today Dawn. Your blog is so inspiring and touches on so many relateable topics. You have a beautiful heart and it reflects in your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, I pray you enjoy sweet closeness with your family and the Lord as you enjoy the simple joys this Summer! In His Grace, Dawn Thank you for the kind words. You are a blessing, too!

      Delete
  4. I too miss our time. We will have coffee soon. Hopefully before we are having yoga on the lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO you made it here today! Well, dig your toes in the sand and stay awhile.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad I came by from the WWHW linky list at Ann's today. This was a restful, refreshing, yet challenging post. "To not neglect or forsake the lonely places for they lead to intimacy with you" - yes, amen. Thank you also for the ocean soundtrack. It has been soothing on a day already rearranged by the unexpected. Grace to you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post today was exactly the type of day I had today. I grimace...I want that to be my summer habit. With summer comes of course the children home all day...which equals less quiet time, which equals a less "lonely" times God. But is the lonely times that give us sure feet to stand on when demanding children leave us feeling anything but lonely.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like we were thinking alike yesterday. I have been challenged to find more time with Him, even with the choas and frantic pace of life. When we get a taste or glimpse of His presence, we want more. I have been working on creating "stillness" and posted about it yesterday as well. http://www.abarenakedlady.com/2012/06/in-stillness.html
    Thanks for sharing,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)