5.29.2012

Warning:Remixing The Purple Poem






Remixing The Purple Poem

One day in conversation
she looked at me and said
she had an inclination
'bout growing old
 within her head

She shared with me her musing 
and I believe it may be true
but before I conclude 
I might add a thought or two

She said that being old 
was just the same as being young
 you're just more of what you are now
when that day finally comes

I have pondered her wisdom through
the years gone by
I have grown older myself
this I can't deny

So as I considered these words
freely shared
I thought about another poem
that declared
a warning about purple
an ode to growing old 
which dares to make a statement
at least that's what I'm told-
about red hats and brandy
and of living life bold

I have always worn purple
and marched to the drum
that some hardly hear beating
rum-pum-pum-pum

I have always worn purple
as I've danced beneath the sun
never really caring, if I was the only one

I have always worn purple
a rebel with a cause
until the cause of the rebel
sought holy applause

I have always worn purple
and will not bend
to the rules of those
who only pretend

I will always wear purple
are you surprised?
I am who I am
In Him baptized


I will wear purple tomorrow and today
as I smile and laugh
perhaps betray


I will wear purple without excuse
you have been warned
and your free to choose
be who you are now and then
always wear purple
never pretend

Here is your warning:


One thing is certain
Of one thing 
you can be sure
I will always wear purple.
for this there is no cure.




WARNING

by Jenny Joseph



When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other peoples' gardens
And learn to spit.
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickles for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
















Strawberry Roan




5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am having a purple week! Celebrate with me!

      Delete
  2. smiles...you rebel you...nah, wear that purple proudly....really love the lines... you're just more of what you are now
    when that day finally comes...that is kind of a cool way to look at aging you know...and it has a couple layers to it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, thanks- you amaze me that you are able to visit and encourage so many - thanks for stopping by and for your poetic portion in the Blogosphere!

      Delete
  3. Awwww...I love purple too! And wear it proudly! Thanks for linking up...this was really good!

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)