2.04.2012

The Poet I Know Not







 For the LORD God is a sun and shield; 
   the LORD bestows favor and honor; 
no good thing does he withhold 
   from those whose walk is blameless.
  Psalm 84:11


The Poet I know Not


Words speak to me,
call me,
beckon me,
whisper through my brain
like dreams of
wind through trees.

But 
I'm not sleeping.

These words...
demand my attention,
jar me from reality
streaming through my mind
in phrases...

frantic-

should I capture these words?

Preserve them on paper
or
 let them continue
to flow
into my bloodstream
to my heart?

©Dawn Paoletta
Beneath The Surface: Breath of Faith


Dear Friends, 
I share this poem I wrote as a very troubled teenager, diagnosed with ADHD at a time when it was not common for girls to carry such labels. There are times when I wonder who I would be without this gift. I recognize that writing has not only been my God connection but my saving grace. I took to writing words in early childhood. I recall third grade and the time I wrote my first poem, the way the words and my imagination could finally connect in deliberate fusion quickened my heart. I remember riding the bus home every day, stories forming  in my mind. In class at school I would drift off on a sentence a teacher spoke, as if seeing it fall off of the lips and out into the air. Always trapped in the prisons of schools, yet longing to learn -I so empathize with so many and long to embrace those who have been labeled with names that don't sound like gifts at all. Names that defeat and oppress creativity, beauty and truth.
Well, there is much more I could say, but let me end with this: 

We are so much more than any label, 
so much more than any diagnosis that would seek to muffle our true spirit,
drown out who God created us to be.
Don't believe the lies.
God created each one of us good.
Unique.
Special.
Precious.

For Him.
To glorify Him.
Exactly where we are.
He does not make mistakes and though he is unfathomable.
He IS good.

Be who you are in Him.
Do whatever you do,
for His glory by His grace
and 
He will 
give you the true desires of your heart.

O LORD Almighty, 
   blessed is the man who trusts in you.

Psalm 84:12






9 comments:

  1. Wow. Loved this. I've never been diagnosed with ADHD but have suspected it since raising my two kids who were. The experience you describe with words as a kid was me to a T. And that line about words whispering through your brain like dreams of wind through trees....YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen my sister, and much love to you! I love your poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great inspiring post. Labels can be so hurtful and often untrue. Thank you for sharing your lovely poetry and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. Beautiful poem ^_^
    My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 7 years old. Today she's 24 and works as a chef, and she told me the other day that this profession is very good for her, it keeps her kind of busy.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and have a great weekend!

    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate the labels. I also hate that the "treatment" for such labels many times suppress who an individual is made to be. For if we all functioned and thought the same how can we become and sustain the specific and unique work God has prepared us to do. Wouldn't we die if we expected our kidneys to look and act as our heart. We are all separate parts of one body. We are all prepare for our unique roles differently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn - Just in from hospital (nasal issues) to find my new linky provider playing up. Just to let you know that I linked up your wonderfully inspirational poetry for you. I'm not a believer but I completely appreciate the sentiment and the words behind this post. :) X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless you girl. My grandson that lives with us has ADHD. I am not sure sure it is any better now then it was then. Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another beautiful poem! God has gifted you in many ways Dawn :)

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)