2.15.2012

The ABC's of Love (Part 4) Two Worlds Collide


What does real love look like?

If you have read the previous posts (see links below) you know that my view of marriage was shaky at best. 
God is still redeeming and transforming my mind and me so this is not something that I take lightly. My husband has a Catholic background and a stronger positive impression of marriage than I, thanks to the sweet example of his parents who have been married for 54 years. Our backgrounds are as different as night and day. But God did marry the night and day after all in Genesis, now that I think of it. A creative match maker He is, I would dare say! 

It was July. 1983. I am working at a little Salad/Yogurt place in Downtown, Providence called Natural Sweetness. I am in the role of Supervisor at 18 years old. He begins work after school, 16. I am his boss. 
See me smiling. See God beginning His amusing work and knitting destiny, unknowingly to us. I am getting back on track after a young life of, for lack of a better word, rebellion. Which at this point, really is not finished. His mom works across the street at Blue Cross and has landed him an after school job by inquiring of the boss. 
He comes in and I hand him one of my infamous "To Do" lists. I am obsessed with keeping the upstairs well stocked. He lugs bottles, jugs, jars and boxes up and down the stairs. It is my job to train him. Train him I do. I hand him the mop. I close out the register. He quietly works. At the end of our shift he takes a bus home. I take a bus to the other side of the city. 
I am not sure at what point we become friends. I observe him. Young, hard-working. I feel old. Well beyond my years. I feel somewhat protective of him and yet, I myself am in need of protection. I am crass to his class, and we do become friends, eventually. What it means at the time is not what either of us expect.
The beginning of our friendship will be the start of a commitment of a lifetime. But at this point in time he is in school and I am travelling a road to nowhere. But God, my friends, is in it. Right from the start. Isn't He always?
If anyone would have said to me right then, this is your future husband, I would have thought they were crazy. I was not figuring him anymore than God because at this point God was as distant to me as the possibility of marrying him. Or anyone. But, God. 

Next Time I will write about our first very amusing "date"...

P.S. The picture above was taken during our anniversary last year aboard 




3 comments:

  1. we are neighbors today...oh sweet story...oh the surprises of God...God's gift we can't see until we are looking in the rearview mirror...
    Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how I love this...thank you for sharing my dear...

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)