1.13.2012

This Thing of Ours: How Faith Saved My Mafia Marriage (Book Review)



There is nothing I like to read about more, than how Jesus Christ takes hold of a person and transforms their life. In this account by Cammy Franzese, it becomes clear how this transformation is something that occurs over time, and through one life, many lives are touched, influenced and impacted now and forever.

Cammie gives a very down to earth account of her meeting and marrying a man who is involved in "Organized Crime", unbeknownst to her at the time. So, take a beautiful Mexican dancer wanna-be star and a handsome, powerful, connected film producer and it sounds like a match made in heaven, right? Well, it seems so but not in the way you would think. The messages that Cammy shares are useful reminders- valid for all women.
Don't make your husband (or anyone) your God. Honor your commitments. Own your choices.
The picture she paints of her mother as a role model for prayer and godliness was such a strong theme throughout this read. I was encouraged in my own conviction to pray continuously as Cammy's Mom faithfully modeled a lovely example of a supportive, wise, praying mom through her daughter's beautiful witness.
This journey gives detailed glimpses into the personal transformation that happens as Cammy realizes she must let go of her fairytale dreams in light of the present reality of a husband wanted by the law, children needing provision and her own fears and doubts. Cammy shares births, prison visits, extravagant spending sprees and West Coast lifestyle bites.

She is not overly preachy as shares how faith has been a foundation for her strength to stand by a husband who was "out of the picture" literally serving two prison sentences.

It is obvious that God had a plan for both Cammy and her Mafia husband Michael.
Unbeknownst to either one of them.
It just wasn't the one they had imagined.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found myself, relating at times, wanting to rebuke or chide at other times, and in the end appreciating the reflective journey shared. By the end of this book, Cammy feels like a new, down to earth, real-life girlfriend who I know, understand and like, despite it all.

"Pray without ceasing. And don't just deepen your walk with the Lord by talking to Him. Listen. Sometimes we just have to be quiet and still. I've found that when we are attuned to God's Spirit, He really does speak and reveal truth to us."
Cammy Franzese


I don't know why these song lyrics came to my mind at the conclusion of the book: 
And, in the end. The love you take is equal to the love you make.”
Paul McCartney



Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.



I review for BookSneeze®

5 comments:

  1. Well, another book to add to my to read list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this now, too, but I guess I'd better get around to reading the last book I got from Book Sneeze before I request another. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael came to our church and was a powerful speaker. I'm sure this book is incredible. Hugs :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, John saw Michael speak in Boston last year, very powerful speaker...a great witness to him leaning on God and putting his faith into his hands!

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)