12.03.2011

Not "Excited" About Christmas

In the same way, let your light shine before men,
that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:16

It's that time of year again. 
People are getting excited. 
I am happy for them and a bit curious, as well. 
You see, I don't get as excited as I used to about Christmas
But, don't let that fool you into thinking, I am any less 
in awe of Christ than the next guy. 
Or girl,
 as the case may be. 
So much of what I see people defining as "Christmas Spirit", 
really after all is 
 just common sense Christianity... 
tidings of comfort and joy, good will towards men. 
God Bless us all, everyone! 

No, I am not the Grinch. 
I believe in celebrating Christmas every day, by the way I live, 
and bow my knee to that baby in a manger, 
not just once a year, but every morning when I awaken. 

I believe in celebrating my Jesus by the way I proclaim His name, 
not because I am worthy but because He IS worthy 
and I am not ashamed to claim I belong to Him. 

I celebrate the birth of the one who came in humility. 
Who humbled Himself to a womb. 
And a woman. 
Who accepted a lowly estate for the joy that would come-
 through a manger and a tree. 
I am in awe of this Prince who would be God's victory over 
sin and death
once and for all. 

In a plan that stirs the heavens and causes controversies to this day!

Christ. 
The King.
The Baby.
Messiah.
Son.
Bright Morning Star.
Redeemer.
Savior.
Emmanuel.


It's not that I am not excited about Christmas, you see. 
I just don't get excited as I used to, 
about the "Christmas"
that commands, contends and seeks to befriend me.
With glitz, dazzle and much,
Happy Holidays and such.
I prefer to stay close to the One who defends me.
Who promises He is as close 
as my breath and touch.

So when I say that I am not so excited about Christmas, 
I hope you understand, 
it's not that I don't rejoice in the child and the man,
It's because I rejoice most of all in God's Almighty Plan!



PS. 
I really am excited for Christmas!


I will extol the LORD at all times; 
   his praise will always be on my lips. 
I will glory in the LORD; 
   let the afflicted hear and rejoice. 
Glorify the LORD with me; 
   let us exalt his name together.
Psalm 34:1-3




7 comments:

  1. Love this, love this, love this! And surprise surprise it is somewhat similar to what I just posted moments ago. But I like yours better...not that we are competing or anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Celebrate Christmas all year long, not just on 12/25. Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful post. I really loved this. :)


    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dawn - I LOVE this post! This is how we should all be, in awe of our Christ daily. Will be coming back over to re-read. I want it to sink in and I love the scripture you have used here too. Just wanted to also say thank you for linking up with me on Winsome Wednesday. I appreciate it and look forward to seeing you there again this week
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too often we do get lost in the glitz of the holidays for sure. I'm loving the way my kids are excited this year for the first time about giving more than they are about getting (ok.... not more excited but at least they're catching the idea that Cmas is not about 'them'. Thanks for sharing and reminding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) Yeah! Of course you are excited about Christmas. As a parent of a two year old who we is getting excited about Christmas, I can't help but see how excited he gets when we watch Christmas movies and how he's finally connecting it to the season and I really can't wait for Christmas because I can't wait to see his face when he opens his presents. Yes I know its not about the presents, but for me, its about the magic of it all to a child. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. how did you get your one word 2013 image? I can't figure out how to get mine. thanks

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)