10.05.2011

Pausing with Purpose


Do not be quick with your mouth,
do not be hasty in your heart
to utter anything before God.
God is in heaven
and you are on earth,
so let your words be few.
Ecclesiastes 5:2



     Every now and again one needs to purposefully pause and reflect on what they are doing, where they are going and why they are doing it. I am in a process of doing this and have come to realize that there are choices that need to be made in light of what is revealed. The pitfalls to avoid are over analyzing and self-centered introspection. The goal is clarifying and sharpening the vision and mark one would hope to attain or aspire to with regard to a specific goal, vision or current objective. Being careful to balance objectivity and subjectivity can only be done (in my opinion) with the guidance of the indwelling Holy Spirit. All that being said, I am weighing heavy in on my choices at this time. I am battling in the heavenly realm and desiring to fight the good fight. Despite enemies within and without. Discouragement and depression, yes, they are nipping at my ankles. But I am walking with the one who crushes them under His Holy feet.

     This has given me a cause to pause. I am considering why I wanted to write this blog and know this is the Lord's leading. But trimming the fat needs to happen. Where's the fat? The fat is in the extra activities that started appearing on my plate as I stepped forward into this endeavor. The fat is in the way God wants to give something and I try to make it my own. God throws me the "ball" and I happily receive it. The problem is not in the catching of the ball but with what happens once the ball is in my hands. You see, the Lord may want me to carry it or carry it for a  bit,  then pass it to another player on His team. Will I let it go, or do I run down the field, holding tight, dashing to the end zone for a touchdown. Sometimes in my zeal I forget I am on a team. Sometimes I need to pause and consider the "play". Sometimes the Lord wants to do something much bigger and better than a mad dash down the field into the end zone for a touchdown. Always, I need to check in with my leader to see how He wants the "play" to proceed. He does not need me to be on the field being a SUPERSTAR. He needs me to play the position(s) He has called me to play. He does not need me manipulating the field, the players or the play. Wow...I am not even a big sports fan! But, I am a fan of Teamwork. I am a believer in following the Team Leaders' Instructions. However, sometimes the Lord needs to make sure the player is heeding the voice of the Head Coach. Yes, it is good to know the game is on. But the victory is sweetest when the coach and player are communicating, connected and sharing the process! The player needs to stay in constant connection with that coach. The player cannot be distracted by the fans, the cheerleaders or even the other players. He needs to keep one eye on the prize, one eye on the coach and a keen ear to the voice of the one who is ultimately calling the shots.

The take home for me is:

If my plate is to full, it must be time to consider what is on the plate that needs trimming!

1. As much as I love that their are so many wonderful blogs, the fact is I cannot "follow" and keep up with them all. When I can, I will visit some of my fellow bloggers' sites but I need consider the priority of writing and sharing as the Lord leads.

2. It is not my goal to build "followers" by blog hopping and "trying" to get a lot of people following me. Although I confess, after surfing the blogosphere I rode the wave for a season. My hope and desire is to develop the writing "voice" that God has given me and that it would be shared and heard by those who He means to touch. There are a handful of people who I really also have a sincere connection with and will continue to comment and dialog with, as the Lord leads but having people drop in, skim my LENGTHY (I know I need to work on this!)  posts and leave a meaningless comment that is neither useful nor edifying is not what I desire nor which I want to do myself .

3. A partial Facebook fast is in order as, since I also can derail with my time there as well. I will be keeping my Beneath The Surface: Breath of Faith page updated but will be exercising a "fast" from Status Updates, likes, comments and sharing on my personal Facebook page. This is a challenge for someone like myself, who loves the social sharing and networking that social media offers. I am challenging myself to "let my words be few" because I really STINK at that and want to do better. (Really, I was much wordier 10, 15 years ago- you are reading a much restrained version of my former self!). Oh, and I really don't appreciate the people who feel the need to say how they "only use Facebook for ....xyz. That is great , but don't look down on others who enjoy it or use it more, just because it's not your area  of  challenge. Maybe you have an area of challenge that I don't struggle in, how is it helpful for me to mention how I don't "relate" to your challenge/struggle in that area? Ok, just a thought to consider...I think it is always good to challenge ourselves in a variety of ways which helps keep us sharp, on our toes and stepping out in faith! Ok? Good.


When you tell God you'll do something, do it—now.
God takes no pleasure in foolish gabble. Vow it, then do it.
Far better not to vow in the first place than to vow and not pay up.
Ecclesiastes 5:4-5 (The Message)



What's YOUR take home?

1. Is your plate to full?

2. Where do you need to trim the fat?

3. How can you better attune your ear to the coach?


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:1-3


Gosh, I hope this does not sound harsh, I just want to be authentic and open.
I pray that by stopping by today you are inspired, encouraged or sharpened in some way.


Lord, I ask you to continue to work in me through the promise of the  presence of your Holy Spirit.
May I rely on You, Lord and not my own strength. May I hear you and stay connected just as the quarterback is tuned in to the coach via the headset, may I be inclining always to the sound of your voice in my ear, yielding my will, heart and mind to your leadership on this playing field called life.
May the words I speak and write be pleasing to you and a blessing  to those who hear or read.
Teach me how to let my words be few.
In Jesus name  I ask, Amen.





    


2 comments:

  1. Understand completely and I love what you said about Facebook. I also don't like people looking down on me because I love Facebook and LOVE the connections I've made with people! I have felt the need to remove things and people from my lift lately. And I pray daily for the Lord to put a guard on my tongue! I only wish I started praying this years ago! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn,

    These issues with blog writing and building followers are things I've been thinking about a lot lately. My blog has grown astronomically in the last 6 months from 0 to 3000 views a month. It's insane, and there's a part of me that is enjoying the 15 minutes of fame.

    It's a serious struggle. When I was in the world, I was a writer and an artist. Everyone told me how good I was, and both of those things were a huge source of pride in my life, so much so that when I surrendered my life to Christ, I gave up any kind of creativity and took a job as a technical writer just so I wouldn't have a place for pride to sneak in. It wasn't until this year that the Lord lead me to start writing more creatively again.

    Reading your post today reminded me why I'm writing. Not for my glory, but for God's glory. Not my words, but His.

    He's used your post tonight to speak into my life. Thank you for your faithfulness.

    God bless!

    Manifest Blog

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)