8.24.2011

His Mercies: A Birthday Prayer



Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord's great love
we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself,
"The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him."
The Lord is good to
those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him.
~Lamentations 3:21-25

      Another year has passed, slipping quietly into the memory of my mind. It's pretty busy in that place. My mind, that is. Some days more than others. I have found only one way to quiet the many voices competing for my attention in my own mind as well as allowing me wisdom for the one's clamoring for my attention outside myself. Sitting in His presence. Basking in His love. Letting His mercies wash over me. I am needy of those. Desperately so. You see, I am a woman of many passions and desires. Big dreams and many ambitions. I am one who would fall into sin with all my good intentions, if it wasn't for the realization of my own wretchedness and more importantly recognition of His mercies and tender graces. I am talking of the kind that makes people wag their tongues and shake their heads. We all are guilty of hidden sins (what you think in your mind, God sees it as clearly as if it has been done and with piercingly accurate perception of motive and intent-Hebrews 4:13) and it is so easy to look at the outward sins that can be seen and judge from our place of perceived superiority. Well I have been guilty of all. I have fallen flat on my face and battled in the spiritual realm and failed. I have also learned to rely on His strength and let Him fight my battles instead in life and the spiritual realm. (Zechariah 4:6) I am still learning and growing in the grace and knowledge of my beautiful, Lord and Savior.
     Today, I am grateful for His mercies more than ever. I am aware that, although my life is far from perfect,  (that expectation is happily crucified) my hope is properly placed. Today is the celebration of my physical birth, my birthday. I like to reflect and consider the past, and check my expectations for the future. I am grateful that He is greater than all of my past, present and future and He holds all in the palm of His hands. Every year I come to the same conclusion...I need Him more than ever to go on. I need His mercies EVERY morning. Some days more than others. He never fails to give them. (1Corinthians 13:8, 1 John 3:16) For this I am grateful. 

Dear Lord, I thank you that your love is faithful,
and will never fail for all eternity. It is this love I fully believe and rely on.
Let me call to mind this great love and hope when I am weak and let me trust You completely.
I praise You and thank you that your mercies are new every morning.

8 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Happy (belated) birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very beautiful picture of the ocean! And Happy Birthday. I am a new follower of your blog thru GFC. I would have loved to follow on FB but I had a disaster 2 Fridays ago when I joined a FB blog hop only and was sailing along liking everyone and asking for likes back and then out of the blue a box popped up saying I was spamming and they suspended my blog for 15 days (4 to go)! I tried to appeal but they would not answer any of my emails. This was a blog hop that we signed up for and everyone basically gives you permission to stop by so I don't know why I was made an example of. Anyway, I will leave it up to you if you want to follow me on FB now or wait for me to come back and follow you first once the suspension is lifted. I will not leave a comment on FB ever again but will leave a message on your blog when I "like" you on FB. So, either way is fine, just let me know what you did. I would love a follow on GFC if that is all you want to do today. Thanks so much and have a great & happy birthday!

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest follower from the Hop via GFC, stopping by from http://couponingfromfl2mi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful, honest post. Some of your words spoke directly to me. I too could fall into sin with all of my good intentions...oh, how great is God's grace.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm happy to find another fellow writer. :)

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post for your very special birthday; I love how you brought it all together to praise, repent, and share your faithful love for all that He has blessed you with. These are the very special thoughts and feelings I want to have on my birthday too!

    I hope your day was blessed! :)
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I’m blog hopping today and I am following your blog. Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance. I am offering a HUGE Back to School Sale on blog designs. For 1 week only receive $40 off a custom design order. Come take a look at my portfolio. Hope you are having a Sweet Week.

    April
    A Mommy’s Blog Design Studio
    Blog Hops Everyday
    Review and Giveaway Blog Directory

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for dropping by the Monday Mingle Blog Hop! Your GFC widget is not working, let me know if I'm already following you or not. I hope you'll stop by
    again soon! Have a great day! :)

    P.S. I would love to connect on Facebook too, if we haven't already. http://facebook.com/toughcookiemommy

    ReplyDelete

walk along the shore with me and leave your footprints in the sand-
I'm listening, friend...in November I will not be replying so often, but instead slip quietly over to your place for a visit. ;)